Forum Bugs

Encoding problem with certain Korean fonts

joeh
I've run into some problems with a couple of Korean fonts. In the past I have created Korean PDFs with the following fonts and haven't had any problems:
SMMyungjo Std
SMGothic Std
AppleMyungjo
AppleGothic

I'm now trying to use the following fonts:
YDMyungjo 500 Pro
YDGothic 500 Pro

When I use these two fonts, the characters that are rendered in the PDF are incorrect. I have double checked the glyphs in these fonts and found that the unicode values are assigned to the correct glyphs, yet somehow the characters showing up in the PDF are wrong.
I've also found that when I copy and paste the incorrect characters from the PDF into a text editor, it shows me the correct characters.

Here is an example of what the text looks like when I'm editing the HTML file:
Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 3.12.18 PM.png

This is what it looks like when I create a PDF using Apple Myungjo (characters are correct):
Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 3.12.58 PM.png

This is what it looks like when I create a PDF using YDMyungjo 500 Pro (characters are incorrect):
Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 3.13.16 PM.png

I have tested YDMyungjo and YDGothic in InDesign and Word and haven't had any problems. I'm only seeing this problem with Prince. Are there certain requirements for Korean fonts to work correctly with Prince?
  1. Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 3.12.18 PM.png6.9 kB
  2. Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 3.12.58 PM.png13.6 kB
  3. Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 3.13.16 PM.png15.6 kB
mikeday
Does the same problem happen when viewing the PDF in Adobe PDF Viewer, or only MacOS X Preview?
joeh
It looks the same in Preview and Acrobat Pro.
mikeday
Unfortunately these fonts do not appear to come standard with MacOS X and so we do not have them, which makes it difficult to diagnose the problem. :(
joeh
Mike, I could send you a copy of these fonts for the purpose of diagnosing the problem, but I would need to send them privately. Could I email them to you?
mikeday
Yes certainly, mikeday@yeslogic.com.