Forum Bugs

Problem printing PDF document from Acrobat

jhoweaa
I don't know if this is a Prince bug or not, but I thought I would post here to see if anyone has experienced this before. We are using Prince 10 (rev 7) to produce a report. The report also includes several SVG charts and SVG background images. The charts are created by Highcharts. The images were created by our design team. The report looks fine when viewed in Acrobat and the PDF reader in Chrome. The document prints fine from the PDF reader in Chrome. However, Acrobat refuses to print the document unless we check the advanced option 'Print as Image'.

Has anyone else ever experienced this sort of problem? When Prince includes SVG graphics in the PDF, does it convert the SVG information into PDF commands, or does the SVG just become part of the document in some way?

I'm just trying to track down where the problem might lie.
mikeday
That's strange, would you be able to attach or email me (mikeday@yeslogic.com) the SVG and PDF?

SVG is converted into PDF drawing commands, but perhaps there is some kind of pattern, gradient, or clip path in there that is causing problems.
jhoweaa
I'll try to send you something tomorrow (Nov 1). My guess is that there is something that certain printer drivers don't like. I was able to print it at home, but that's a black and white printer and completely different from what I (and some others) were trying. It's also odd because I've narrowed it down to two charts, and if I hide both of them, things print, but not if I include both. I think I can print one or the other but not both (I'll have to reconfirm that). There is one thing that might be interesting. We were having problems with a different report not showing some SVG charts correctly when the HTML was rendered by Firefox and IE. Turns out that each of the SVG charts we generate typically has a 'clippath' element, and the ID for the clippath is always the same "highcharts-1". I don't know if this could be causing problems in the rendering. I've contacted the Highcharts people to see if there is a way that when I generate a chart I could 'uniquify' the id so they aren't always 'highcharts-1'.
sverizone
Hi there,
we are experiencing the exact same problem over here. I did a bit of research and the bug appears in different variations for Acrobat Reader (Mac and Windows) as well as IE on windows.
We also print different highchart and svg elements. Text prints just fine.

mikeday
We think this issue may have been caused by a bug in Prince 10 which was fixed in Prince 11.