Forum How do I...?

Files Working in v9, not in v11

jimbrooking
Sorry to bother you again so soon but I have two files, one each of our two Prince applications, that run in Prince v9 but fail in Prince v11 (PHP v7 for all tests).

The first, nl_distrib_order892368.html, generates correct-looking PDF in version 9 and fails when convert_file() returns an error in Prince v11.

The second, https://dev.fearringtonfha.org/newprint/Directory989338.html, runs in Prince v9 but the PDF looks quite different from the HTML. THis file also fails when trying to run convert_file() in Prince v11.

The log files indicate no problems for the v9 conversions, and no log file entries are provided for the v11 conversions that fail.
  1. Directory989338.html10.8 kB
  2. nl_distrib_order892368.html20.2 kB
mikeday
If there are no log entries when running Prince 11 then it suggests that the problem is not with the file, but that Prince is not running at all due to filename issues or missing shared libraries.
jimbrooking
Any hints? I think I have installed all the files in the "Generic Linux" zip file in /usr/lib/prince11
  1. screen.1.jpg107.7 kB
mikeday
This might be a bit tricky to debug without terminal access. Perhaps we will need to write a script which captures any possible link errors to a file.
mikeday
Editing the prince shell script to run "ldd /path/to/bin/prince > /tmp/prince.ldd" should save a list of shared library references that you can check for any missing ones.
jimbrooking
Sorry, no joy, I changed the ldd command to read "ldd /usr/lib/prince11/bin/prince11 > /tmp/prince11.ldd" (pointing at the binary stored in /usr/bin/prince11/bin after scanning the lucid and readable {/sarcasm] man page at http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/ldd.1.html. Running the batch file again (and again) produced no /tmp/prince11.ldd file. I am afraid, after working on nothing but Prince for the past four days, I am giving up on version 11 and returning to Prince v9. The problem with v9, alluded to in a previous posting with a file called Directory...html (10.8kb) is likely a CSS problem, which I think I have the knowledge and tools to solve. I may get back to this later but the v11 problem feels a lot like shooting in the dark, which is joyless and frustrating. So thanks for trying to help with this. I'm sorry I can't keep up with the latest Prince, but the old one seems to do the job (almost perfectly) so I'm going to stick with it for now.

I am a volunteer doing this for my community and am going to be traveling for about 6 weeks starting later this week, so need to leave the Prince applications in a functional state.
mikeday
Sorry it didn't work out, perhaps we can try and put together an install/test script to simplify this in future for situations where shell access is not available.