Forum How do I...?

prince free edition vs wkhtmltopdf

vladcostea
Hi,

I'm using the free version of prince to test a local pdf rendering api service

I'm trying to test the concurrency capabilities of the service when rendering larger pdfs (~ 6 seconds render time / pdf)

I've tested my service with both prince and wkhtmltopdf with the apache benchmark tool (ab), and while wkhtmltopdf is able to handle the load, when running the service with prince, it "queues" the processes and the benchmark tool times out.

It's possible that I'm not using the web framework as I should be or that I don't understand well enough the concurrency model I'm using :)

My question is:

Is the free version of prince less "performant" somehow than the server license version?
mikeday
How big are your test documents and how many is it trying to convert?
vladcostea
The test HTML files I'm using are ~2Mb big, and I'm using the following params with ab

ab -c 50 -n 50 -p path_to_doc url

After multiple tries now, it seems the free prince version is no longer timingout, just rendering them a lot slower than the server licensed one.

Again, it could be that I'm not setting the servers correctly, we're testing a different web framework and setup so, that could be it.

I just want to make sure that it's not the difference in prince installations.
mikeday
There should be no performance difference in the installations, so I would expect that any difference in speed is coming from the time it takes to download needed resources over HTTP, or different speed of the machines.
vladcostea
Indeed we were using different machines and setups and wanted to be sure that prince wasn't the issue.

Thank you very much for your quick support on this issue