Forum How do I...?

Embed, overlay or underlay letterhead/stationary PDF

elmcrest
Hey everybody,

I‘ve just registered here and I‘m playing with Prince. So far I habe a really good impression.

Now to this thread:
Can I, as the title suggests, use arbitrary PDF files which had been created f.e. by Designers in InDesign, underlay to a PDF generated with Prince?

Additionally, the first page is different from the following pages, the first page including f.e. the bank account and company address.

Thx in advance,
Marius
mikeday
Currently no, Prince does not read PDF files, only create them. You could use some other image format such as SVG, PNG, or TIFF, or perhaps combine the PDFs with some other third-party tool.
elmcrest
Hello mikeday,

Thx for the fast answer.

Ok, that‘s a little sad. Also surprising, I was expecting this would be needed by many users.

Anyways, I guess I could also layout the letterhead itself in html/css and use it like that, though that doesn‘t scale once I‘ll have customers :P
jim_albright
I don't understand what having customers has to do with your letterhead? If you add customers names to letterhead then that can be done easily.

I would recommend making PNG of the PDF. Good that you have graphic designers doing that. If you need someone who can create a complete package for images for your company I can recommend a couple of designers.

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators

elmcrest
Hey jim_alright,

yeah, for my ‚app‘ where currently there is only a single user, we ourselves.
Still, a letterhead, when done right IMHO, is vector based. So always sharp, good to print and little in size.

So converting them to PNG isn‘t a valid option to me, still thx for pointing this out.

Marius
elmcrest
Edit:
Customers of my app would create business documents for their own business with their own letterheads...
jim_albright
Okay. That makes more sense. If you want to convert PDF to SVG then
Download Inkscape. Make it a point to choose version 0.46 and above.
Run the Inkscape software. And then open the PDF which you wish to convert.
Now click "OK". Let Inkscape convert the file.
Now click on file and go to the option "Save As" and choose "SVG" as output format.
Prince supports SVG.

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators

elmcrest
Yeah, works for me, though I‘d have to convert the fonts into paths, which is somehow a OK workaround.
Still I‘d like to have the real thing ;)

I could of course use pdfrw f.e. (Python) and underlay my pdf... but that‘s abother dependency then which would be nice to remove.

Anyway, solveable issue.