Forum Feature requests

PDF Forms Support

abitgone
Hi,

It would be great if, by using the HTML form controls (INPUT, TEXTAREA, SELECT etc.) we could generate PDF forms that could be filled in by end-users.

Thanks.
oliof
I support this feature request. It would be great!
mikeday
It would be great, and it's on the roadmap, but it might take a little while to get there. :)
itnrant
abitgone wrote:
Hi,

It would be great if, by using the HTML form controls (INPUT, TEXTAREA, SELECT etc.) we could generate PDF forms that could be filled in by end-users.

Thanks.

BUMP!
adriencater
Count me in on this one too - it's another thing I find amazing that InDesign (still, amazingly) can't do, and it would be that much cooler if Prince did.
joelmeador
This feature would be really awesome to have.
doug316
Looks like this suggestion is fairly dated. Is there yet a development priority or schedule for this feature?

I don't need so much for a mapping of HTML input fields, but some way to create editable PDF fields.
clemensp
Hello PrinceXML team,

How far into the roadmap is this feature?
It would be great if at least input textfields were supported as a first pass. :)

Thanks!
mikeday
We definitely want to do this, but there are many other things on the roadmap that we need to get through first. We'll get there as soon as we can; possibly sooner, if we can clone our developers. :)
knottedhandkerchief
I work for a large company and have just been asked to find a product so we can export documents (built on the fly according to user input) as editable PDFs. As we operate in several countries, from separate hosting, we'll need several server licences for starters.

That should help you clone a developer!

Our requirement is just for input fields in the first instance (second would be textfield, then radio/check boxes - nothing fancy, as the PDF has to be printable.

We've hunted around for a PDF solution, with high quality output - this seems to be it. We just need editable fields...
atopher
Hello.....Just wondering if this was developed - can't see it on the roadmap, or the docs?

Thanks
mikeday
Not yet, it's still on the roadmap. But we need to add support for tagged PDF first.
chaoser
We are waiting for this feature also..
martin_schweizer
We need this feature as well - so pleeeease - move it to the next release if possible!
NB: First request if from Aug 1st 2008!

Prince XML is cool - and I really want to avoid beeing urged to add FormFields in another pass using another tool!
mikeday
We will get there, honestly. :D
no1uknow
+1 Mike, we really need HTML/PDF forms as well.

Is there an ETA when dev will begin?
mikeday
Currently we are committed to delivering JavaScript DOM functionality needed for charting libraries, so it will have to wait a while. It might help if you could email me (mikeday@yeslogic.com) more details on your requirements; there is a lot of variation when it comes to PDF forms, and no clear specification for us to work towards.
nishantvarma
Hi Mike and PrinceXML Team, Is it possible to generate editable PDF from Prince XML especially survey forms ? Some of our end users need this feature . Also would Adobe Reader support editing or do we need to have the entire Acrobat suite to Edit ? If Prince XML PDF can be opened in Adobe Suite as it to make it editable , that would also be a interesting choice to explore . Can you please let us know ?

Edited by nishantvarma

mikeday
Prince currently does not do anything special to make editable PDF files, eg. it does not embed PDF form controls or other dynamic content.
mlorant
Is there any idea of a date on when it would be available/started developing/put on priority? This idea seems to rot in the roadmap for 8 years now, and I see I am not the only one interested in it :)

Thanks,
mikeday
Difficult to say, as there are so many other feature requests. Maybe we need some kind of tournament to judge the most worthy. :)
abitgone
Well, I've only been waiting for 8 years…

Just wondering how difficult it would be to make the HTML input elements analogous to their PDF counterparts. That's pretty much what we're all asking for.
chaoser
@abitgone you are pretty consistent person. Other people already switched jobs, several times, moved to something else, where they don't need Forms in PDF :)
mikeday
We have been working on Prince for 13 years, imagine how impatient we feel! :D
abitgone
Regardless of the jobs I've had, whenever I'm in need of a good PDF generator, I always reach for Prince.
mikeday
We appreciate that! Hopefully we can add more features in the future.
nathanh42
We just purchased Prince PDF in 2015 and we would really like to have this feature as well. Any idea on date?
mikeday
At the moment we are fully occupied with various features scheduled for release in Prince 11 later this year, so we will not be able to support PDF forms in the near future.
joelmeador
I think we'd love to have this on DocRaptor some day. It's not the highest priority, but we probably turn away a baker's dozen of customers every year who want this feature.
abitgone
We still live in hope that it'll make its way up the priority list at some point…
nttguy
Any chance this feature will be available in the next release? We would like to use PrinceXML in our upcoming project for a big automotive client, but this feature is critical for this project.
mikeday
Tagged PDF is still higher on the roadmap for now I'm afraid.
jamiec
is there any indication on when this might be released? I eagerly anticipate it :D
mikeday
Not this year, unfortunately. But we did finally finish support for tagged PDF, so hopefully we will get there in the end. :)
abitgone
Mike, when you're thinking about this, perhaps add in support for any element that has the content editable attribute:
contenteditable="true"

Have a great Christmas! Here's to looking forward to finally landing support for this in a future version.
david.shastry
Bump. This would be fantastic. I use Prince to generate a ton of PDF forms. It's extremely painstaking to go through and manually markup 10+ pages of PDF with form elements in Acrobat after generation. Where this sucks the most is when there is design feedback and the underlying HTML has to be changed, rerun through prince; rinse-repeat.

Would be amazing to have this capability :) Thank you!
108Signals
@mikeday is this still on the roadmap? there seems to be a lot of users who want this feature. thanks
mikeday
Yes, we are looking at PDF forms now.
108Signals
amazing! keep us posted and let us know if you have any questions on our use case
mikeday
Sure, it would be helpful to hear more about your use case.
108Signals
just sent you an email. thanks!
abitgone
* gets excited *
mikeday
Good news: PDF Forms are now available in the latest build!
108Signals
Amazing! can't wait to check it out...thank you for making this happen - this is not easy stuff.
abitgone
Oh. My. Goodness. 😊

And right on time for us, just as we're about to do some Adobe Sign jiggery pokery! 😊
mikeday
Digital signatures are not supported yet, but we would be interested to hear any use cases. :)