Forum How do I...?

units available

jim_albright
In experimenting with the size of a div I couldn't get pica (pi) or (p) to work. But %, em, px, pt, cm, and in all seem to work. Why doesn't pica work?

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators

mikeday
I believe pica units are "pc".
jim_albright
Works great. Thanks again. Where could I have found that? Wikipedia gives abbreviation as (p).

Jim Albright

mikeday
The CSS 2.1 specification describes length units, but to be honest I've never seen anyone actually use picas. :D
jim_albright
Karis was the graphic artist that I worked under. She is from New Zealand. She used picas all the time. I had the privilege of typesetting three New Testaments under her watchful eye.

A word to the wise. Even though you have a wonderful tool here with Prince, make sure you have a graphic artist check your work. I had great tools with Ventura Publisher and a laser printer, but I didn't know the difference between sans serif and serif when I started. The before and after pages with her help were so striking that I destroyed all evidence of my ignorance. Too bad it would make good copy now.

Jim Albright

_savage
Thanks for this thread!

Mike, the CSS specification that you link to gives accurate measurements for absolute units. Inch (1in = 2.54cm) and Point (1pt = 1/72nd of 1in, 72pt = 1in) are the ones I am particularly interested in, because at the moment these are the only units I use in my stylesheets. (I assume that is enough considering that the target medium, i.e. page size, is given and fixed.)

Does Prince implement those units precisely?

Edited by _savage

mikeday
Yes, internally PDF files are specified in points (exactly 1/72in) and Prince converts all other units to points using the standard conversion factors. The only tricky one is pixels. :)
_savage
I can imagine! How do you handle pixels in your case when pixels are really a device-specific resolution?
mikeday
Prince defaults to 96dpi for px units, although you can override this if you really have to with the --css-dpi option on the command-line.