Forum How do I...?

Converting from foreign formats into HTML/CSS

yet
Hi there,

PrinceXML is the perfect platform for doing web2print apps. The major problem is that there is no obvious way from getting to an Indesign/Quark/Photoshop document to a HTML/CSS template. Anyone with some experience in (semi-)-automatic converting those formats into HTML/CSS (something like extraction of the page-size, dimension and position of boxes, font-names and their sizes...?

Andreas
mikeday
I think that could be a good idea worth pursuing. Perhaps you could ask the question on an InDesign forum as well, in case there aren't enough InDesign gurus hanging around here. Any method of going from InDesign or Quark to the web could act as a starting point for Prince, and could be a good way of making templates for layout.
yet
For the logs:

I have implemented a solution that allows to generate a HTML file and a stylesheet from a PSD (Photoshop) file.
The Python-based solution supports the extraction of the page size, extraction of position and size of boxes, extraction of images
and I am working right now on the extraction of styles, fonts etc.

Not a perfect solution but a good helper for converting templates from a designer into the PrinceXML world.

If anyone is interested, please let us know (yet@gmx.de)
jim_albright
Question: Do any of these programs have an output of HTML? or XHTML?

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators

yet
jup, HTML + CSS

still very basic - but it saves a lot of time doing basic stuff like determining the boxes yourself..
dauwhe
I spend my days duplicating InDesign files in Prince. I need to start working on something like this! Unfortunately I'm an XML/XSL guy, and have never scripted InDesign.

The reverse would be interesting, too... transforming CSS3 into an InDesign template.

Dave
yet
For the PSD -> PrinceXML conversion I released:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zopyx.smartprintng.psd/0.1.0

(requires Python 2.6)