Forum Documentation

kernel error

lewism
When trying to run prince from the command line off of an apache web server I got "FATAL: kernel too old" and "Segmentation fault" errors. Could this be an installation error, or do I need to get IT to update the web server? Any thoughts or suggestions will be helpful. Thanks.
mikeday
Which Prince package did you install and what Linux distribution are you running?
lewism
Here is what my IT manager gave me:

prince-6.0r7-linux Redhat 8.0 Linux

Edited by lewism

mikeday
Hmm, Red Hat 8.0 is rather old, being released in 2002. You could try the Prince package for RHEL 3 which might work, or if convenient you could upgrade your server to a newer distribution.
lewism
Yeah I know, but we've got some legacy pages that are cause us upgrade problems. Sadly it is out of my hands and I don't see an upgrade any time soon.

Which rhel3 would you recommend, prince 6 or prince 5.1? We are running php5 so would prince 6 work best?

prince-6.0r7-1.rhel3.i386.rpm

or

prince-5.1r15-1.rhel3.i386.rpm
mikeday
Try Prince 6.0, it's newer, faster, more reliable, and since both packages are built on RHEL 3 there should be no difference in terms of compatibility. If it doesn't work, I'll see if we can set up a Red Hat 8.0 build. :)
lewism
Sadly after installing the 6.0 rhel3 I'm still getting the same "FATAL: kernel too old" error. If it is at all possible to get a build that would work on the Red Hat 8.0 it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your assistance.
lewism
This issue has finally lit a fire underneath some of the developers to redo those legacy pages that are holding up the server upgrades. So in another couple of months I might not need a version that will run on RH 8.0. Thanks again for all your help.