Forum Bugs

Server.CreateObject fails

Anonymous
I'm getting the following error:
Server object error 'ASP 0178 : 80070005'

Server.CreateObject Access Error

/website/index.pdf.asp, line 4

The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object. 

I'm trying to call Prince from ASP on Windows Server 2003. I gave the IUSER_computer and IWAM_computer users read/execute permissions to the Prince directory.

Is there something else I need to do?
mikeday
The DLL will try to access the prince\engine\bin\prince.exe file, so it will need appropriate access permissions.

I'm not sure what the permissions problem is, we'll see if we can replicate the problem here.
Anonymous
If that's true, wouldn't it fail on the SetPrincePath call? It fails in the Server.CreateObject call, so even before it should do anything with prince.exe. My guess is that somehow the object itself cannot be created due to some permissions issue, but I've never seen this happen with any other object...
mikeday
Sorry, you are quite right: it must be a DLL issue if the CreateObject call is failing.

It sounds as if it is the Microsoft bug explained at this page:

BUG: ASP Error 80070005 "Server.CreateObject Access" When You Create a Visual Basic Component

Changing the permissions on the msvbvm60.dll file in the system directory should hopefully solve the problem.

If the problem persists, the following Microsoft support pages could be helpful:

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Permissions in Internet Information Server 4.0
How To Troubleshoot ASP in IIS 5.0

Cheers,

Michael