Forum How do I...?

JPGs with clipping path

have
Is there any way to use images with transparent background in Prince - except PNGs?

In our corporation we have high-resolution JPGs with inline clipping paths. This clipping path is compatible with applications like Photoshop/Indesign but also open source tools like ImageMagick.

So basically I want a page with a image background and another image on top of this - with transparent background.
mikeday
I am not familiar with JPEG clipping paths, and I don't think this is supported by most web user-agents (ie. web browsers). In general, it will be easier to get transparency with PNG, GIF, or TIFF. But if JPEG would be more convenient for you, please email me (mikeday@yeslogic.com) some JPEGs containing clipping paths and I'll see if we will be able to process them.
twantzen
Sorry for reactivating an old thread, but:

Does Prince generally support clipping path of JPGs or TIFFs? I haven't found something useful about this topic in the Docs.

Thanks!
Tobias
have
Hey Tobias .... Not as far as I know.

Since then we have been converting to transparent PNG first ... which is a non-optimal solution ... especially because of the huge filesize of PNGs ...
mikeday
How about using an SVG clipping path of soft mask applied to a JPEG image?
twantzen
The problem is: We have many of JPG and TIFF images with already applied clipping path. Or can I somehow read/activate the clipping path of the image from within SVG from within HTML/CSS/Prince?
mikeday
Unfortunately not, this would require some other tool to extract the Adobe clipping path and convert it to SVG, as demonstrated here:

https://css-tricks.com/transparent-jpg-svg/
twantzen
Thanks, Mike. I'd seen this post, too. So I have to search for a solution to that.

BTW: Please add clipping path support for TIFF and JPG!

:-)
Tobias