Forum How do I...?

can't write to disk

dorianwinterfeld
I am running PrinceXML 6.0, rev 1 on Win2000/IIS5 and perl 5.8. I *used* to be able to run Prince via a Perl/CGI script and write a PDF file to disk. This now fails, with no messages in the Prince error log. The identical command works from the DOS prompt and I can also pipe the Prince output directly to a browser and see the resultant PDF.

I realize this sounds like a permissions problem but the permissions on the output folder are wide open. I can also use the same Perl script to write the raw XHTML file to the same folder.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I will try to run more tests and see if I can get more clues.

thanks - Dorian Winterfeld, uaqa.com
jim_albright
What is message in the log file? You say no message. Do you mean no log file?

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators

mikeday
Has anything changed? Have you upgraded Prince, or did it just suddenly stop working one day? (There is nothing time/date sensitive in Prince, so one would assume that some kind of configuration has been modified inadvertently).
dorianwinterfeld
the script fails with this error mssage. I am using the Perl Exec command to run this command:

C:\Progra~1\Prince\Engine\bin\prince.exe --no-embed-fonts --log="D:\posh\online\share\logs\prince_log.txt" d:\posh\online\share\vsc\xhtml\reading_gr8_1D1a.html d:\posh\online\share\vsc\pdf\reading_gr8_1D1a.pdf

HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0 Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 18:06:22 GMT Connection: close Content-Type: text/html Content-Length: 93 The remote procedure call failed.
dorianwinterfeld
there was no change that I know of ie. we didn't upgrade Prince, Perl, IIS or change permissions. But something must have changed.
jim_albright
Have you tried just a simple call to Prince with no parameters?

Have you tried it with quote marks?

"C:\Program Files\Prince\Engine\bin\prince.exe"

Jim Albright

dorianwinterfeld
"C:\Progra~1\Prince\Engine\bin\prince.exe" d:\posh\online\share\vsc\xhtml\reading_gr8_1D1a.html d:\posh\online\share\vsc\pdf\reading_gr8_1D1a.pdf

HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0 Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 18:43:37 GMT Connection: close Content-Type: text/html Content-Length: 93 The remote procedure call failed.
jim_albright
Prove that you really are starting Prince.
Is prince where you think it should be?

try running
"C:\Progra~1\Prince\Engine\bin\prince.exe"

and

"C:\Program Files\Prince\Engine\bin\prince.exe"

Jim Albright