Forum How do I...?

Prince 7.0 licence windows

Jeremy
Hi

we have bought a server licence and are using Prince through the COM dll, via perl in this instance.

Everything is fine when we use the GUI but if we use the COM dll and servie the PDF directly to a web page, we get the watermark.

I have tried changing the permissions on the prince directory (we are using IIS on server 2008) but nothing stops the watermark.

Can you point me in the right direction for what I need to fix?

Regards

Jeremy
mikeday
Are you using the same Prince installation in both cases, and specifying the correct exe path? Can you try running this executable from the command-line with the --show-license option?
Jeremy
Hi

yes we're using the same installation on both. The only thing different is the iis server process running the web request is a different user

this is the output from running the command line

C:\Program Files (x86)\Prince\Engine\bin>prince.exe --show-license
id: xxxxxxx
vendor: YesLogic
product: Prince
version: 6.0
name: Server License
end-user: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
date: 2009-07-23
upgrades: xxxxxxxxxx

I took some numbers out and its a 64 bit copy of 2008

I'm pretty sure its some permissions based thing as I've had similar problems with other software

Jeremy
mikeday
Sounds a bit strange, as if it has access to read the executable it should also have access to read the license file.
Jeremy
It seems there is a license file deep in the bowels of the user profile

Directory of C:\Users\marshaj\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Prince\Engine\license

23/07/2009 13:14 338 license.dat
1 File(s) 338 bytes

The web server logs on as a different user. Perhaps I can move this to the right user, or use the Default User section.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Just one final point. it seems that you cannot allocate permissions to c:\windows to allow access to this file. I think the %APPDATA% variable will need to move somehow for the license file to be read

Either that or put the license file somewhere else...
Jeremy
Okay it looks like I had done the right thing but Firefox was caching the pdf.

So the fix is to copy the 'Local/VirtualStore' tree to the windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData directory

You can find who the iis worker process is run as by looking at the properties of the application pool

Jeremy