Forum News

Prince 7.0 released!

mikeday
Today we are just bubbling with joy to announce the release of Prince 7.0, a long awaited upgrade for the best way of getting web content onto paper. This exciting new version is faster, stronger, and full of more features than ever before.

* Support for OpenType fonts! Kerning, Ligatures, and real Small-Caps!
* Support for Arabic, Hebrew, and Indic scripts!
* New Algorithm for High-Quality Hyphenation and Justification!
* Dozens of other Improvements and Bug Fixes!

For full details, see the release notes, or simply download Prince and try it for yourself.

Many thanks to everyone who submitted comments, suggestions or ideas during the development and beta cycle of Prince 7.0. Your feedback pushed us to make Prince even better! :D
wulfila
"Today we are just bubbling with joy..." And rightly so! Congratulations. An important release for a great product. Prince just keeps getting better.

(Nice timing, by the way.)

Tom De Herdt

SoreGums
tar -zxf prince-7.0-linux.tar.gz

results in

prince-7.0-ubuntu904-static

I run gentoo amd64 so I don't know if I should install something that says it is for ubuntu...
mikeday
If you are running a 64-bit Linux distribution it might be worth trying our new 64-bit package of Prince. It's built on Ubuntu 9.04, but statically linked, and should work fine with most recent Linux distributions.
SoreGums
mikeday wrote:
If you are running a 64-bit Linux distribution it might be worth trying our new 64-bit package of Prince. It's built on Ubuntu 9.04, but statically linked, and should work fine with most recent Linux distributions.

Ok great - will give it a go then - thank you

Edit: Installed - works like a charm - will have to see if these Helvetica otf files work as is now (converted them to ttf)
thomas
Thanks Mike for your work!
yet
Just excellent work.

Our first brochure generated with Prince 7 will go into print next week.
Jellby
I've just updated from 7.0b1, and I get:

FATAL: kernel too old
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

my sistem is:

Linux badulaque 2.6.11-13mdk-i686-up-4GB #1 Mon Nov 28 15:22:48 MST 2005 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz unknown GNU/Linux

and I downloaded the generic linux version (.tar.gz)

Has anything (related to this) changed from the beta? Can it be changed back?
mikeday
This is the problem with "generic" Linux builds: it's very hard to make a single binary that works on every Linux distribution. Try downloading the Ubuntu 8.04 package, that's what we used for the beta, so it should work fine.
Christian Moe
Hi,

Prince 7.0 sounds like great news -- I was very impressed with Prince 6, but I've been eagerly awaiting Arabic support and some other goodies that were promised for this release.

But I get a CPU error when I try to run it on a PowerPC G4 Powerbook, so I guess this is for Intel only?

Are you planning to release a Universal binary? I hope so. There's still a lot of life in this old box (runs Mac OS X 10.5.8 flawlessly).

Christian Moe
mikeday
At the moment I'm afraid we don't have plans to continue support for non-Intel MacOS X, as we don't even have a PowerPC Mac that can run 10.5. The performance of the Intel Macs also makes them a lot more appealing to run Prince on.
Christian Moe
mikeday wrote:
At the moment I'm afraid we don't have plans to continue support for non-Intel MacOS X, as we don't even have a PowerPC Mac that can run 10.5. The performance of the Intel Macs also makes them a lot more appealing to run Prince on.

Darn. I'd happily lend you mine, but I'm on the wrong continent...

Performance was fine with v.6. For my purposes, anyway; I wasn't doing anything in bulk.

Thanks for the swift reply.