Forum How do I...?

Problems with fonts although fonts are embedded

yet
For an ongoing customer project we created four different variants of the same documents with the following fonts:
Times New Roman, Libertine, DejaVu and SansSerif.

We got two independent reports that the documents with Libertine and Times New Roman did not display correctly (text not readable).

For each conversion the font files were available locally and configured properly for regular, bold, italic and bold+italic.

AFAIK PrinceXML embeds all fonts directly into the PDF - so there should not be any issues with installed/not-installed fonts on the client
system at all? We are using no special command-line options for the conversion - so embedding the fonts would be the default and desired behavior!?

The weird thing is that one person reported that one PDF would not be displayed with Preview on MacOSX correctly but would should up correctly with Adobe Reader on the same system.

I could not reproduce this issue myself - neither on Mac nor on Linux.

Could you please
mikeday
Fonts are embedded by default. Can you email me (mikeday@yeslogic.com) a copy of the PDFs which displayed incorrectly?
sstanelle
Mike,

Do you know if there has been any resolution regarding this? I think a customer is having the same problem. The PDF shows fine with Adobe Reader, but not when using the Preview (blocks with x's appear instead).

I can send a PDF sample if needed.

Thanks,

Scott
mikeday
This is a known bug in MacOS X Preview triggered by the use of OpenType fonts with CFF outlines (OTF fonts). If you use TrueType fonts (TTF fonts) there should be no problem.
sstanelle
Thanks, Mike! I will try to obtain a set of true type fonts from our customer.

Regards,

Scott
mikeday
Update: This issue was fixed in 2017.