Forum Bugs

font problem

nohemi
Hello,

I have a problem of interpretation of certain characters in my pdf.
On my html file I have this code:
        <span style="color: #40a040"> ☑ </ span>

The webpage is correct but the pdf transforms these characters on ?

I've searched on the forum without success,

thanks for your answers
nohemi
  1. capture_html.PNG11.3 kB
  2. capture_printpdf.PNG19.7 kB
mikeday
Prince cannot find glyphs for these characters in the selected font(s). Do you know which font they appear in?
nohemi
Hello mikeday,

In this website I use standard fonts,
for example, I tested with Georgia, Arial and Verdana, and I've always the same problem (on several browsers (mozilla, safari, chrome...) display is perfect.
mikeday
Which operating system are you running? For me it works on Linux, as the OpenSymbol font has this character. But on Windows XP it does not work, either in Prince or Internet Explorer.
nohemi
I'm on Windows 7 and my colleague use a mac and it didn't work :(
Do you need the link to the web page?
mikeday
That would indicate that there is a new font included in Windows 7, but not in XP, that has a glyph for this character. But which font? Perhaps one of the new fonts like Cambria, or Calibri? Does Windows 7 have a new symbol font as well?
nohemi
But the pdf should take the font defined in the css? (Georgia)
And I have the problem in windows and mac platform...
mikeday
The Georgia font does not have a glyph for this character, unless they've added new glyphs in Windows 7. The way font-family works in CSS is that browsers (and Prince) will try each font in turn until they can find a glyph. The last font they will try is the default "serif" font family, which for Prince maps to Times New Roman and a few other fonts.
Boris
Hello Mike,

I work with Nohemi and the font used to generate these glyphs is Dingbat. The CSS code for these glyphs is :
<span style="text-decoration: line-through; font-family: Dingbat; font-size: large">
<span style="color: #40a040">&#x2611;</span>,
<span style="color: #ff9400">&#x26a0;</span>,
<span style="color: #f81314">&#x2612;</span>
</span>

Is the font supposed to be installed on every single client ? (I don't know why I thought it was collected from the PDF document). If so, why can we see it from the screen but not from the PDF generated ? Might be because the font is not supported ? Or because of the entities ("&#x2611;" ...) ?

Thanks !
mikeday
The font does not need to be installed on machines that you use to view the PDF, it only needs to be installed on the machine that you use to generate the PDF. Is the Dingbat font a standard font that comes with Windows 7?