Forum Bugs

Text displaying as crossed boxes for a certain font

lukens
Bit of an odd one this.

When using a certain font, any text in that font just appears as a series of crossed boxes.

Copying and pasting the text from the pdf gives the correct text in the correct font.

Strangely, text in the header, using the same font, displays fine. Unless the font is used anywhere else in the document, in which case it displays as crossed boxes too.

I'm using prince on OSX.

These are the font details font Font Book:

PostScript name	Whitney-Medium
	Full name	Whitney Medium
	Family	Whitney
	Style	Medium
	Kind	OpenType PostScript
	Language	Albanian, Basque, Catalan, Cornish, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Faroese, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Maltese, Manx, Norwegian Bokmål, Norwegian Nynorsk, Oromo, Polish, Portuguese, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Welsh
	Version	Version 1.200 Pro
	Location	/Users/Luke/Library/Fonts/Whitney-Medium-Pro.otf
	Unique name	H&FJ: Whitney Medium: 1.200
	Manufacturer	Hoefler & Frere-Jones
	Designer	Hoefler & Frere-Jones
	Copyright	Copyright (C) 1996, 2007 Hoefler & Frere-Jones. http://www.typography.com
	Trademark	Whitney is a trademark of Hoefler & Frere-Jones, which may be registered in certain jurisdictions.
	License	A copy of the End-User License Agreement to this font software can be found online at http://www.typography.com/support/eula.html.
	Enabled	Yes
	Duplicate	No
	Copy protected	No
	Embeddable	Yes
mikeday
I think this is a bug in MacOS X Preview that affects PDF files that use OpenType CFF fonts (OTF fonts). Can you try viewing the PDF in Acrobat or another PDF viewer and see if it looks better?
lukens
Ah yes, seems to work fine in Adobe Reader.

Still slightly odd though, as a different PDF, using the same font, generated in a different program, displays fine in Preview.

Luckily I'm the only Mac user likely to read this document, so it shouldn't be an issue.