Forum Bugs

Specifying repeatability of <tfoot> element

webchickbot
I am reposting this from the "How do I...?" forum - I am hopeful to receive a response before resorting to modifying the source files.

-------------------------------------------
I have encountered a consistent problem with the <tfoot> element. I need to be able to generate PDFs from web content and match the page count on a previously scanned collection of documents. The fact that the <tfoot> element repeats at the bottom of every page when a <table> is interrupted is wreaking havoc on my page count. It would be nice if one could turn off this value somehow so the <tfoot> would only occur at the end of the table.

I have searched the forums and have found previous threads on this topic, but no resolution of the issue.

I am not sure whether this is a bug or a feature request as the <tfoot> element was not designed for paged-media*

I find features like the prince-bookmark-level very useful, so I am hopeful that something like this can be implemented for <tfoot>.

Thanks in advance -

* http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3282477/how-to-style-tables-on-successive-pages-of-a-paged-media-output
mikeday
How about "tfoot { display: table-row-group }" so that it behaves like a regular tbody, and only occurs once?
webchickbot
That works - sort of - but it keeps the <tfoot> at the top of the table instead of at the end as it is in the printed documents. So, it would be nice to be able to specify that the <tfoot> render at the end of the table instead of the beginning. Apparently, it is proper form to put the <tfoot> at the beginning of an HTML table so it will be visible while the rest of the rows render. Obviously, that is not an issue in a PDF or print environment.

This does give me a reference point for more research - so thank you! (although I do feel that hand-editing will be necessary.)
mikeday
JavaScript may also be an option here, to move the tfoot element to the end of the table and convert it to a tbody element. We will be supporting JavaScript in the next release of Prince, due shortly.
webchickbot
That would work - making this process easy for others to reproduce is a desired outcome; and I will be writing documents to support that.

Is there an ETA on the upgrade?
mikeday
We will have a beta release out real soon now, we're just tidying up some issues affecting jQuery.