Forum Bugs

font-variant: small-caps

JohnClarke
I'm not sure whether this is a bug, or a feature not yet implemented. Either way, should I be able to use a small caps property? I've tried, but it never shows up as small-caps in the PDF (only when viewing in a browser). -John

John Clarke
Cornerstone Systems Northwest Inc.

mikeday
Hi John,

This is a feature that has not yet been implemented, as listed on this page: Unsupported features in CSS 2.1.

A small caps font can be simulated using "text-transform: uppercase" and "font-size: 80%", which is essentially what Internet Explorer does. Alternatively, if you have an actual small caps font, you can specify it using the font-family property. This is the ideal solution, as actual small caps fonts tend to look better than simulating small caps by scaling a regular font.

Best regards,

Michael
jared
The implementation of small-caps in Prince would be fantastic if possible. A situation arose for me which is only efficiently solvable with small-caps.

For the cover pages of my assignments I need the "T", "U" and "Q" first letters to be large capitals and the other letters to be small capitals of the following text: "The University of Queensland".

I achieved it using the code listed below; however, it wasn't exactly the nicest way to do it.

<institute><word>The</word> <word>University</word> of <word>Queensland</word></institute>

institute {
  font: 18pt "Times New Roman", serif;
  margin: 40px 0 40px 0;
  text-transform: uppercase;
  font-weight: bold;
}

institute word:first-letter {
  font-size: 26pt;
}
JohnClarke
Thanks for the tip Jared. I hadn't thought of this way. -John

John Clarke