Forum How do I...?

A how-to for creating custom DocBook stylesheets?

David J Prokopetz
Hi.

Can anyone direct me to a good how-to document on the subject of creating custom DocBook stylesheets? Most of the stuff I've found online seems to be for deprecated standards like DSSSL, or else it's written to the level of a software engineer - which, unfortunately, I'm not. I'd like to do some fairly complicated stuff, like messing with the layout of the table of contents and specifying custom headers and footers, and I can't seem to figure it out to save my life.

Thanks,

- David Prokopetz.
mikeday
Do you mean CSS style sheets or XSLT transforms for XSL-FO? Because this forum is mostly concerned with CSS. :)
David J Prokopetz
The CSS I can handle; it's shuffling bookinfo elements around and generating tables of contents and stuff that I'm struggling with, and - insofar as I understand - that's all done in XSL.

I'm thinking about buying Prince 5.1, and I've been very impressed with the demo version, but the lack of XSL transforms for stuff that can't be emulated in CSS - like the aforesaid TOC generation, just f'rex - is a major sticking point. If I can knock together something myself, then there's no problem; however, I'm having trouble figuring it out.

Which is why I'm wondering if someone could direct me to a decent tutorial or how-to document on the subject. A book, even, if you can think of one.

Any ideas?
howcome
David J Prokopetz wrote:
The CSS I can handle; it's shuffling bookinfo elements around and generating tables of contents and stuff that I'm struggling with, and - insofar as I understand - that's all done in XSL.

For the book Bert and I did in HTML, we used Bert's multitoc tool to created the TOC.

A recent W3C WD (CSS3 module: Generated Content for Paged Media) describes a way to generate TOCs using CSS. It hasn't been implemented by anyone, AFAIK.

Cheers

-h&kon