Forum Bugs

Comdlg32.ocx error

jsweetman
Hi, I have just installed Prince 5.1 r9 and am getting the following error when i try to start the program:

Failed to load control 'CommonDialog' from Comdlg32.ocx. Your version of Comdlg32.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

Anyone got any ideas what this might be?

I'm running on XP Pro SP2 if thats any help.

<><

mikeday
Prince should install and run with no problems on a clean install of Windows XP, but perhaps there are some DLLs left over from another application that are conflicting in some way.

Could you please check that the Prince folder (eg. C:\Program Files\Prince) contains "comdlg32.ocx", then view its properties and check that it has version 6.0.81.69? Also, do you have any other versions of comdlg32.ocx on your system that might perhaps be conflicting with it? (Find files should be able to find them).

In the meantime, you should still be able to run Prince from the command-line by running C:\Program Files\Prince\Engine\bin\prince.
jsweetman
Thanks for the reply.

I do have a comdlg32.ocx in my Prince directory and it is the correct version of 6.0.81.69. I also have a comdlg32.ocx in my Windows\System32 directory which is version 5.1.43.19. Perhaps this could be the problem?

The command line works fine but I need the GUI to update my licence information. Is there any other way of doing this?

Thanks for your help.

<><

Edited by jsweetman

mikeday
I do have a comdlg32.ocx in my Prince directory and it is the correct version of 6.0.81.69. I also have a comdlg32.ocx in my Windows\System32 directory which is version 5.1.43.19. Perhaps this could be the problem?

That is probably causing the issue, as this extra comdlg32.ocx in the System32 folder is an older version that must have been installed there by some other application, as I don't believe that it is included in the basic Windows XP installation.

You could try temporarily renaming it to something else and then running Prince, however this may disable whichever other application on your system is using the file.

The command line works fine but I need the GUI to update my licence information. Is there any other way of doing this?

Simply place the license.dat file in the license folder of the Prince installation, eg. C:\Program Files\Prince\Engine\License, replacing the existing license file.
jsweetman
OK - that seems to work fine now. Thanks for your help! :D

<><