Forum Bugs

Permission Denied

cgray
Ok, when I run this command from the command line it works:

/usr/local/bin/prince --verbose -s "/var/www/html/dolphinedc_com/public/media/css/interviewsummary.css" -s "/var/www/html/dolphinedc_com/public/media/css/global.css" -s "/var/www/html/dolphinedc_com/public/media/css/style.css" -s "/var/www/html/dolphinedc_com/public/media/css/prince.css" -i "html" --log="/var/www/html/dolphinedc_com/interviewsummaries/2010010101/50414/Prince.log" "/var/www/html/dolphinedc_com/interviewsummaries/2010010101/50414/InterviewSummary.html"

When I run it from within my php application I get

08:18:56:791840!snmkc66in3vtop4jrms52fbe74!index!line = /usr/local/bin/prince: line 3: /usr/local/lib/prince/bin/prince: Permission denied

08:18:56:791974!snmkc66in3vtop4jrms52fbe74!index!line = /usr/local/bin/prince: line 3: /usr/local/lib/prince/bin/prince: Success

Not sure why I would get a permission denied and then a Success on the same call but I am. I have checked the permission for all of the directories and files and they are all set to r_xr_xr_x.
cgray
Also I do not get a log file created when running it from with my php app.
mikeday
Can you run Prince successfully from the command-line? Which operating system are you running, and is the correct Prince package installed?
cgray
Yes,
GNU/Linux
Not sure, how would I tell?
cgray
If it works from the command line wouldn't that tell me I have the right package installed?
mikeday
Yes, that is a good sign. The error message is a bit strange though: it seems to be successfully running the Prince shell script in /usr/local/bin/prince, and then that tries to exec the Prince binary in /usr/local/lib/prince/bin/prince, but the exec fails.

If it runs fine from the command-line, that would suggest that PHP is using a different environment in some way. It is definitely running as a different user, but you would assume it can still access the executable. Perhaps it has changed LD_LIBRARY_PATH so some shared libraries are not available, or some other weirdness.

We can debug this, but it will take patience. A good place to start is by temporarily modifying the Prince shell script in /usr/local/bin/prince. For example, before the exec you could add "touch /tmp/yay", then if the file /tmp/yay shows up it confirms that the shell script did indeed run.

After that, you could try adding "file /usr/local/lib/prince/bin/prince > /tmp/yay 2>&1" and paste the output that you get, that should show whether the binary is readable.
cgray
Step 1: Ok added touch /tmp/yay and re-ran the app. The yay file did show up in temp. on to step two.
cgray
Step 2: Here is what was in the yay file:

/usr/local/lib/prince/bin/prince: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, stripped
cgray
Could it be a 32/64 bit issue?
cgray
When I do a uname -a I get the following:

Linux DOLPHIN2 2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 22 12:19:21 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
mikeday
In that case it would definitely be worth trying the 64-bit Prince package. :)
cgray
Do I need to de-install the 32bit package before installing the 64 bit package?
cgray
Installed 64 bit package and re-ran, yay contents are as follows:

/usr/local/lib/prince/bin/prince: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, stripped

Look like 32 bit is still being used. Am I reading it right?
mikeday
Yes. Which package did you install? The DEB and RPM packages will install Prince in /usr, not /usr/local.
cgray
The RPM package. I am not seeing prince in the /usr directory. I am seeing it in the /usr/local/bin and usr/local/lib directory. So I need to uninstall prince and then reinstall the 64 bit version correct?
cgray
Ok I did all that and re-ran the app and the yay file contained the following:

/usr/local/lib/prince/bin/prince: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, stripped

but still no pdf output. So it looks like we are running the 64-bit version.
mikeday
The binary included in the RPM package is not statically linked, and should end up in /usr not /usr/local. What output do you get if you run "rpm -ql prince" from the command-line?
cgray
package prince is not installed

I ran the ./install.sh in the prince-8.1r5-linux-amd64-static directory to install prince. So I guess not RPM...
mikeday
Right, that solves the question of which package was installed. But doesn't solve the question of why it works when you run it manually from the command-line, but fails when invoked from PHP. StackOverflow suggests that probably either PHP safemode is enabled, or SELinux security permissions are preventing Apache from executing external processes.
cgray
Yes I am running under the user apache. I tried adding apache to the root group and it still did not work.
cgray
I also tried changing the ownership of the prince file in /usr/local/lib/prince/bin to apache:apache and still no go...
cgray
I have even tried changing the ownership of the directories to apache to see if that would work. The issue is I can't tell "what" permission is denied. Is it permission to run the prince app? Access to a specific directory? etc?
cgray
By the way PHP safemode is turned off.
cgray
Mike, thanks for all you help. My issue was with the SELinux security. It was set to enforce. When I set it to Permissive the prince stuff works.
mikeday
Great! :D