Forum Bugs

Encryption causes abnormal messages Acrobat 6&7 on searc

JohnClarke
Encryption was working fine for me until recently when I ran into some problems with the final document. I'm not sure this is a bug in Prince. Perhaps my source documents are causing the problem. Here is the scenario:

Scenario:
    * Any encryption setting is turned on when generating a PDF with Prince 5.1r8
    * The document is then opened in Acrobat 6 or 7
    * A standard text search is requested (in the sidebar)
    * Acrobat prompts me with the message "Because the document has been modified since it was last searched, results are no longer valid. Would you like to repeat the search? Yes/No."
    or
    * another similar message depending on the document (If I find it I'll post it later on)
    * The search results displayed are incorrect
    * If I do NOT encrypt, the problem goes away.

Clearly, I'm not modifying the document during the process so, the message is incorrect. However, it does indicate that Acrobat is confused about the structure of the PDF perhaps. I suspect it might be due to some of the source documents (images?) that I'm using, but I'm not sure. Suggestions? -John

John Clarke
Cornerstone Systems Northwest Inc.

JohnClarke
To rule out as many causes as possible, I updated to 5.1r11 and entered a basic HTML document:

<html>
<body>
Hello World
</body>
</html>

Unfortunately, the problem persists. Suggestions?

John Clarke

mikeday
Hi John,

I have not been able to reproduce this behaviour with Acrobat Reader 7.0 on Linux or Windows. If I click the search button on the toolbar it pops up a sidebar on the right with a text box, and I can search for text without any additional messages popping up.

Which encryption options are you specifying when you run Prince?

Best regards,

Michael
JohnClarke
Hi Michael,

Thanks for looking into this. I think I've found the problem. It has to do with my particular Windows configuration (suprise). When I open the same PDFs on any other (WinXP/2003) computer, there is no problem. So Prince generates the PDFs correctly, but some how both versions of Acrobat on my machine have problems with them. A few months ago, I encountered this problem on another machine while my machine was working correctly. I suspect if I reinstalled Acrobat or Windows that the problem would go away.

For the record, I was using disallow print, no user pw, no admin pw. I also tried other variations like disallow all.

-John

John Clarke