Forum How do I...?

Math character entities

dorianwinterfeld
I'm trying to use this math char entity for an angle: 8736 ∠

It displays in the xhtml but not in prince. In the PDF it displays as a question mark. Anyone have any suggestions?
mikeday
This means that Prince cannot find any glyph for this character in any of the fonts specified in the font-family property. You should also see this warning message:
prince: warning: no glyphs for character U+2220, fallback to '?'

The solution is to find a font that has a glyph for this character and add it to the font-family property, eg. "font-family: Times New Roman, MyCoolFont". Because Times New Roman does not have a glyph for the angle character, Prince will go to look at the next font in the list.
mikeday
You could try the "Lucida Sans Unicode" font if it is installed on your system, as that should certainly support the angle character.

The Microsoft Symbol font also supports it, but Prince does not yet support this font due to the lack of a UNICODE encoding for it. We may support this font in a future release of Prince.
Steve Pate
I don't believe I have done anything (famous last words) but between upgrading to the latest OS/X and running prince again on the same file, I'm seeing the following:

warning: no glyphs for character U+25E6, fallback to '?'

and it is due to:

list-style-type: circle;
or
list-style-type: square;

Removing this line removes the problem. I upgraded to prince-alpha-2007-03-23-macosx but still have the issue. Perhaps the OS/X upgrade changed something?
mikeday
Upgrading MacOS X could have changed the installed fonts in some way. If you want to use a specific character as a list item marker you can do it like this:
li::marker { content: "*" }

(Assuming that you're using the XHTML <li> element for list items and that you want an asterisk as the list item marker symbol. Some characters may require escaping, eg. "\2020" -- dagger symbol).
StoneCypher
If you find a character that you cannot locate in your base font set, and you don't own a copy of Office, you can dig up a font called "Code2000," which attempts to implement the entire unicode printable pagespace. The font isn't exactly the prettiest, but it's better than having no image at all.

John Haugeland is http://fullof.bs/

dorianwinterfeld
Similar problem with square roots. We are using a CSS hack like so (see below). It displays correctly in html but in Prince the radical sign displays but not the top border. Is there a better solution for square roots?

<style>
#radish1 {font:200 16px monospace;position:relative;left:1px;top:-1px;}
#radish2 {font:200 16px monospace;border-top:1px black solid;}
#radishbox {width:130px;padding:3px 2px 2px 2px;border:3px tan outset;background:tan;}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div>
<span>z = &amp;radic;</span><span>x + y</span>
</div>
mikeday
Hi, today we have released a new alpha version of Prince that supports the Symbol font and thus the angle symbol.

Regarding the radical border issue, I don't see any problem when I run the document fragment that you posted; it just looks like a square root. Please email us the document if it still doesn't work.