Forum How do I...?

Where is the Installation folder in MAC OS X

mike1052
Hi

i have downloaded the "prince-5.1r11-macosx" but do not know where exactly is the root folder for placing the "install.sh" file.

Can somebody give me a detailed description of how to correctly install this.

Many thanks for your time

Mike1052
mikeday
If your home directory is /Users/mike and you extract the .tar.gz file to /Users/mike/prince-5.1r11-macosx you can then run the install.sh script and specify a directory in which you want to install Prince.

You can install Prince within your home directory, eg. in /Users/mike/prince-5.1r11 or something like that. To run Prince you could add /Users/mike/prince-5.1r11/bin to your $PATH environment variable so that you can run it just by typing "prince".

You could also install Prince in /usr/local. Note that this may require running install.sh with sudo (eg. "sudo ./install.sh") for the necessary administrative privileges.
mike1052
Ok mikeday,

thanks for the info, i will try this.

Thanks for taking the time out to respond.

Mike1052
wasabi
mikeday wrote:
If your home directory is /Users/mike and you extract the .tar.gz file to /Users/mike/prince-5.1r11-macosx you can then run the install.sh script and specify a directory in which you want to install Prince.

You can install Prince within your home directory, eg. in /Users/mike/prince-5.1r11 or something like that. To run Prince you could add /Users/mike/prince-5.1r11/bin to your $PATH environment variable so that you can run it just by typing "prince".

You could also install Prince in /usr/local. Note that this may require running install.sh with sudo (eg. "sudo ./install.sh") for the necessary administrative privileges.

The following:
Cub:~/prince-6.0r3-macosx ck$ prince --help

Returns:
-bash: prince: command not found

What did I goof?
mikeday
This just means that the shell can't find prince, as it's not in your PATH environment variable. Try running it with an absolute path, such as "./prince" if it's in the current directory, or "/usr/local/bin/prince" if it's been installed in /usr/local. You can add directories to your PATH like this:
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin