Forum › Bugs

Prince and El Capitan Public Beta?

greatislander
Hello,

I installed Prince (10r3) on El Capitan Public Beta, and when trying to convert a sample file locally I got this error:

*** Mercury runtime: caught segmentation violation ***
cause: address not mapped to object
address involved: 0x0
This may have been caused by a stack overflow, due to unbounded recursion.
exiting from signal handler
Segmentation fault: 11


I had been using 9.0r5 before on Yosemite with no issue. I also tried 9.0r5 on El Capitan and got the same error. Is there a known incompatibility? I know with a beta system my mileage may vary—just wondering!
mikeday
It's not known, we haven't tried this public beta yet. Can you try running with the --debug flag?
greatislander
Hi Mike,

The issue appears to be during the font scan portion of the document conversion:

prince: Preparing document...
prince: debug: stopping prefetch threads
prince: Converting document...
prince: debug: pack
prince: debug: font request: bold serif
prince: debug: scan fonts: Times New Roman
prince: debug: found font: Times New Roman Regular
prince: debug: found font: Times New Roman Italic
prince: debug: found font: Times New Roman Bold
prince: debug: found font: Times New Roman Bold Italic
prince: debug: scan fonts: Symbol
prince: debug: found font: Symbol Regular
prince: debug: scan fonts: LiSong Pro
prince: debug: found font: LiSong Pro Light
prince: debug: scan fonts: Hiragino Mincho Pro

*** Mercury runtime: caught segmentation violation ***
cause: address not mapped to object
address involved: 0x0
This may have been caused by a stack overflow, due to unbounded recursion.
exiting from signal handler
Segmentation fault: 11


In El Capitan Public Beta, Hiragino Mincho Pro's name in the filesystem is:

ヒラギノ明朝 ProN W3.ttc


I don't know if this is a change, but Is it possible that Prince is tripping up on these characters in the filename?
bmesuere
Same issue here with Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro
mikeday
I have an updated Prince package with better logging: prince-10r3-debug-20150720-macosx.tar.gz

Would you be able to install this and run it on the same input document with --debug and paste the output that you get?

Hopefully this will reveal exactly what is going on regarding these particular fonts.

Thanks! :D
greatislander
Hi Mike, that new package fixed something, as I was able to successfully convert my test file. Output attached.
  1. debug.txt‎ 21.4 kB
mikeday
Thanks. The crash was caused by the system unexpectedly returning NULL when we tried to find the Hiragino Mincho Pro font. Now we are more careful, but I don't understand why the font does not appear to be available any more, as it has always worked in the past. I guess it's still a beta, perhaps this is a bug. :)
mikeday
Apple insist that it's not a bug, and that we should use the Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN font instead, although the other fonts are still reported as available, so it sounds like a bug to me. Either way, we have changed Prince 10 rev 4 accordingly; thank you for letting us know about the issue. :)