Forum How do I...?

Is a cross-page column flow possible to achieve?

ibrowne
Hello,

I have a document in which I need to display two columns of tables. There is a good chance that when the tables fill up with data that we will be spilling onto a second page when printed. Currently, when PrinceXML prints these pages, it does a very nice job of flowing the tables on the first page then again on the second page, but what I'm wondering is if it is possible to make the tables flow evenly ACROSS the page break. Furthermore, I'd like to allow the tables to be split by the page break and I'd love for the <thead> element from each table that is split to appear again and have the ability to add the text "(cont.)" to the header. Example: https://www.screencast.com/t/FWUqwdWQN

I know it's a very strange request, but is anything like this even possible with PrinceXML?

Thank you.
mikeday
Are you placing the tables inside a multi-column layout, eg. with "columns: 2"? Because you could also place the tables inside another table with two columns if you want the left to stay on the left and the right to stay on the right on the second page.

Currently it is not possible to change the thead content on subsequent pages, but it is possible to do something similar with a Prince extension supporting multiple table captions, like this:
<caption style="prince-caption-page: first">Science</caption>
<caption style="prince-caption-page: following">Science (cont.)</caption>
ibrowne
Thanks mikeday. Those are some good options. I'm curious, being fairly new-ish to Prince, when you say "Prince extension", is this something additional that needs to be downloaded and installed with Prince or is it simply something "extra" that comes with Prince as is?
mikeday
I just mean that the prince-caption-page property is specific to Prince and not part of standard CSS.
ibrowne
Got it, thanks!