Forum How do I...?

Defining prince-pdf-output-intent

twantzen
Hello together,

I try to get a full CMYK PDF, that suits all needs of printing production. Therefore I tried to start my CSS with this
@prince-pdf {
	prince-pdf-output-intent: url("ISOcoated_v2_eci.icc");
	prince-pdf-page-colorspace: cmyk;
	prince-pdf-color-conversion: full;
}

in order to get a flawless CMYK PDF.

When running this through Prince12, I get an error message:
prince: ISOcoated_v2_eci.icc: error: can't open input file: No such file or directory
prince: error: output intent required for --convert-colors

Isn't the standard ICC folder directly available?

Thanks
Tobias
mikeday
No, as with other URLs in CSS it will be resolved relative to the base URL of the style sheet or document in which the rule is.
twantzen
Ah, thanks, Mike!
twantzen
Okay, next question: I thought, I'd get a PDF, where all RGB elements (images) are converted to CMYK and a defined output-intent of »ISOcoated_v2_eci.icc« inside the PDF. But Acrobat shows me, that still all images are RGB and my output-intent is not defined.

Can you please give me a hint of what else I have to chance to achieve my goal?

Thanks, Tobias
  1. screenshot.png135.3 kB
    Screenshot of Acrobat Preflight result
twantzen
And one more question:
Can I able to set PDF-X-4 standard from inside the @prince-pdf section or is the only possibility to do so by calling Prince via command line with
prince input.html --pdf-profile=PDF/X-4
?
mikeday
You can use the --convert-colors option or prince-pdf-color-conversion: full to convert all the colors in the PDF to the specified output intent. However, if you specify a PDF/X profile then I think that should already be happening?

You can use the prince-pdf-profile property inside the @prince-pdf rule, it takes a string which is the name of the profile.
mikeday
Ah actually only PDF/X-1 requires color conversion, the newer profiles like PDF/X-4 allow the PDF to contain colors from other colorspaces as long as the output intent ICC profile is present.
twantzen
Thanks for pointing this out!

For other users in search of similar questions:
@prince-pdf {
	prince-pdf-output-intent: url(icc/ISOcoated_v2_300_eci.icc); /* path relative to css */
	prince-pdf-page-colorspace: cmyk;
	prince-pdf-color-conversion: full;
	prince-pdf-profile: "PDF/X-4";
}

works perfectly (Prince 12.2).
boethius1973
Is "ISOcoated_v2_eci.icc" a file that needs to be downloaded and included in the same folder as the CSS? If so, where does one get this file?
mikeday
It is included in the Prince installation, eg. in /usr/lib/prince/icc.
twantzen
You can download it here, if needed:
http://www.eci.org/en/downloads