Forum Bugs

Prince fails with exception

When I start Prince I get a Microsoft .NET framework error that says it can't find special directory "My Documents". I click continue and the program opens and lets me select an HTML file as usual but when I try to convert it Prince immediately closes without any error.

I've uninstalled and re-installed Prince but the same thing happens. I get the same message if I try and load the license.dat file. I did recently move off of a My Documents folder onto Google Drive and before that Prince worked for me. I checked that the Prince directory was completely removed before I reinstalled.

So it's somehow reading an old registry entry maybe? I searched and couldn't find anything. What should I try next?
Does Prince\Engine\bin\prince.exe work as expected from the command-line?
I discovered that I can run Prince if I run as administrator. The problem is my computer's settings for my user account. In my elevated login typing [Environment]::GetFolderPath("mydocuments") returns a correct folder. But under my user account it returns nothing.

I changed my registry through my non-elevated user account and set HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal to a correct path (it was not correctly set before) and restarted my computer but [Environment]::GetFolderPath("mydocuments") still doesn't return a value. I'm investigating why this is but for now I will run Prince as administrator.

I'm new to Windows 10 and getting used to our dept's policy on elevated and non-elevated user accounts so the answer might be obvious to more experienced users.