Forum How do I...?

How to add OpenSymbol font (Win10) ?

garry
My prototype application creates an XML file that is then transformed (XSLT) into an HTML file. The HTML file has many checkboxes on it. The HTML web page looks fine. If I "Print..." the web page and use the "Save As PDF" option, the resulting PDF looks fine. When I use Prince to convert the HTML to PDF, the checkmarks are missing and replaced with a "?". I get the error:

No font for Dingbats character U-2713, fallback to "?"

I see this issue has been discussed in the past:
https://www.princexml.com/forum/topic/3660/no-support-for-html-characters-using-dingbats

mikeday replied "In the meantime, installing the OpenSymbol font and including "OpenSymbol" in the font-family property should do the trick."

Although I'm a software developer, I'm a newb at HTML/CSS/etc and have the following questions:

Exactly where (URL) does one download a clean/safe OpenSymbol font file from?

And once I install the font on my Windows 10 laptop, exactly what files need to be changed (and how) to "include the OpenSymbol in the font-family property". I'm clueless here. I can't even spell CSS.

Thanks in advance...
mikeday
Let me investigate, we should be able to provide a better solution than installing OpenSymbol as there must be a font already installed on Windows 10 that has a glyph for this character.
garry
My company laptop blocks all freeware/shareware sites (very locked down), so I ended up getting OpenSymbol on my own and managed to install it on my development laptop.

I then figured out that if I add the following to the stylesheet I pass into the Java-based Prince converter instance, that I can get the missing checkmarks all through my document:

body {
font-family: "Times New Roman", opensymbol, serif;
}

It would be great if I could just use a standard Windows 10 font (or something downloaded from Microsoft) so that I don't have to get IT involved to install a non-standard/rogue font.

Edited by garry

mikeday
The Segoe UI Symbol font should do the trick, we will add this to the default serif definition in a future release of Prince.
garry
Thanks for sorting that out. I just ran a test and the Prince-generated PDF has checkmarks. Woot!.

Seriously, thanks so much for the prompt support. I really, really appreciate it.
mikeday
We have added the Segoe UI Symbol font as a fallback in Prince 13.2, available now, thanks for letting us know about the issue! :D