Forum How do I...?

Can I get information on Prince using html/css instead of command line?

amyd
I'm a developer in a large organization. Prince is running on a server that's out of my scope and out of scope for everyone on my team. We can't upgrade the version or experiment with fonts without a lot of coordination and time with another team.

Is there a way that I could get information about the Prince installation by writing commands in html or css? For example, could I somehow write a fc-list and see all the fonts installed? Or see the version of Prince that's installed?

Thanks,
Amy
mikeday
I sympathise with your plight, that sounds awful.

You can obtain the Prince version from JavaScript like this:
<script>
document.body.textContent = navigator.userAgent;
</script>

However this will only work if JavaScript is enabled, and if it isn't you will need to coordinate with the other team to enable it, at which point it might be easier to simply ask them to run "prince --version" from the command-line and report back.

Unfortunately it is not possible to get a list of the installed system fonts this way; if you really cannot obtain this information you could use @font-face rules to point to font files hosted on your own server or elsewhere, although this could slow down document production since they will need to be downloaded each time.
amyd
Thank you for the reply! I couldn't get it to work -- but the two teams are finally starting to communicate.

Many thanks,
Amy