Forum How do I...?

Problem with footnotes when column count changes on page.

dlpBNA
I am having trouble with footnotes on two column pages when it contains a table that goes across all columns.
Image prince1 shows the table footnote at the bottom. Our current system puts it under the table.

Image prince2 shows that the footnotes seem to work when you go from a 2 columns - table page wide - and back to 2 columns. The footnotes are in the right places.

I have tried with and without the css - column-count: 2; added. The columns change either way but the footnote is always at the bottom.

Do I need to do something to make the footnote stay with the one column section.

current1 - Shows our current system.

We use this style on the table tag - column-span:all;width:100% - when the table go page wide.
  1. current1.PNG91.6 kB
  2. prince1.PNG152.3 kB
  3. prince2.PNG181.2 kB
markbrown
Could you provide some CSS and markup that demonstrates the problem? It's not clear what other properties might be affecting the output.
dlpBNA
Here is a simple file that show the problem. Please let me know if you need more.
  1. createdpagechangefile.html2.5 kB
markbrown
Thanks. At the moment it is only possible to put footnotes at the bottom of a column or at the bottom of a page; we will add this to the roadmap.
dlpBNA
I am a little confused by your response. I just want to make sure you saw the same thing in the test document I sent you. When the first two column section ended it put the footnotes right after that and then changed to one column and displayed the table. Then it went back to two columns and those footnotes were in the correct place. The only problem was the footnote at the bottom of the page should have been under the table.

It almost seems like something happens when you change the column count that cause the page to end right there when going from 2 to 1. But does not happen when going from 1 to 2.

So it seems like it works a little. Thought maybe I needed to do something for the table.

Thank You
dlpBNA
I was able to get this to work manually using div's. Now I just need to see if I can write the code to automate this issue.

We can mark this resolved for now.
  1. princeA.PNG32.9 kB
markbrown
> I just want to make sure you saw the same thing in the test document I sent you.

The html I saw matched your description.

> The only problem was the footnote at the bottom of the page should have been under the table.

The spanning element is not considered to be a column box in its containing multicol container, so there is no column to place the footnotes at the bottom of.

> It almost seems like something happens when you change the column count that cause the page to end right there when going from 2 to 1. But does not happen when going from 1 to 2.

The thing that's happening at the start of the spanning element in your example is that the preceding column boxes all end. That's where their column footnotes go.