Forum Bugs

Editing Text in Adobe Acrobat Pro

alex1234
After upgrading from prince-20211026-linux-generic to prince-20220520-linux-generic, there seem to be some problems editing text from PDFs generated in prince in Adobe Acrobat pro.

I tried downgrading back to prince-20211026-linux-generic and confirmed we can edit the text without any issues. I also tried upgrading to the latest version (prince-20221028-linux-generic) and confirmed that it did not solve my problem.

Do you have any tips about how we might workaround this problem, or is there any other information I might be able to provide that would help you investigate?
mikeday
Do you have the same issue with Prince 15? Would you be able to attach a simple PDF that demonstrates the problem?
alex1234
Yes, I seem to have the same issue with prince 15. Please see attached pdf and try to edit one of the last couple paragraphs in Adobe Acrobat Pro. Through this process it seems that an "active ingredient" to the issue is the hyphen character in the second to last paragraph
  1. issue example.pdf24.4 kB
alex1234
As an update, enabling --no-subset-fonts seems to resolve the issue

However, I'm not sure what other the other implications of that setting might be, or why the setting would be necessary to achieve the desired editability in Adobe with prince-20220520-linux-generic and not prince-20211026-linux-generic
alex1234
As another update, turning off font subsetting seems like it would cause the size of one of our key PDFs to increase by a multiple of around 5, so I am not sure that will be an viable option for us

Edited by alex1234

mikeday
Can you try the --force-identity-encoding option? This will change the way that text is encoded in the PDF but fonts will still be subset.
alex1234
That option works as well - thank you!