Forum How do I...?

Conditional div with lines for notes

johnfox
I'm thinking with all the people using PrinceXML to publish papers, someone is bound to have figured this one out.

When a section ends before the bottom of a page and I want to force the next section to begin on the following page, I want to use the remainder of the page as a place for participants to take notes (lined paper). Something like this:

<Section 1 end>
Notes: ______________________

I've tried many workarounds for this, trying to make the <div> with a variable height to properly fill out the balance of the page before the page break and nothing seems to work.

Thoughts?
howcome
johnfox wrote:
When a section ends before the bottom of a page and I want to force the next section to begin on the following page, I want to use the remainder of the page

CSS doesn't have an "expand-to-fit" option like the one you request. The only solution I can think of that would work in Prince6 is to have a background image that would be revealed when areas on the page are left unfilleded. Something along the lines of:

body { background-image: url(stripes.png) }
h1, h2, h3, p { background: white }

By setting spacing between the elements as padding instead of margins, you should be able to cover most areas where you don't want to see stripes.
leif
A solution without background images:

Place a <lines> element as last element of <section> and fill it with as many <b> elements as you need lines at the most. From there one, all you need is the right CSS. :) If you apply position:absolute to <lines> then it - and its content - will not be moved to the next page, even if it exceds the available space. I guess this is the most important point of this solution - the rest can be solved in several ways. See my code example below.

<style type='text/css'>
div.section{page-break-before:always;}
div.section div.lines{width:100%;display:table-cell;position:absolute;}
div.section div.lines b{width:100%;display:inline-block; height:1.5cm;border-bottom:1px red solid;}
</style>
<div class='section'>
   <h2>Header</h2>
<p>Her goes your text. Before notes starts below:</p> 
<div class='lines'>
<b>Notes: </b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b>
<b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b>
<b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b></div>
</div>
<div class='section'>
   <h2>New header</h2>
   <div class='lines'>