Forum Bugs

Printing via Acrobat

ebaum
Hi. I'm using Prince 5.0 on OS X.

I'm having an interesting problem. The generated PDF files print fine from the Preview application.

However, if I try to print from Adobe Acrobat, the print job just vanishes. (If the file is generated via the demo version of prince, the demo page prints, and the rest of the job vanishes).

This was reported by a client and I was able to duplicate it (on OS X). FWIW, I'm using --no-embed-fonts and --no-compress flags.

Does this ring any bells?

Thanks,

Eric Baumgartner
Inquirium

mikeday
Hi Eric,

We have not experienced this printing issue with Adobe Acrobat.

It seems very strange that the PDF would print fine from the preview window, which uses Adobe Acrobat, but not from within Adobe Acrobat when running standalone. What if you load the PDF file in Internet Explorer, which should load Adobe Acrobat as a plugin, and try and print from there?

You could try embedding fonts and see if that is having any effect on the printing. Also, why are you passing the --no-compress option to Prince?

If you cannot make Adobe Acrobat print the file you could email us a sample PDF file to take a look at here and see if we can diagnose the problem.

Cheers,

Michael
ebaum
A little more detail:

The problem still exists with Prince 5.1. (I'm using OS X 10.4.3.)

The problem only exists when I use the no-compress flag. (I had been using this flag because I was generating lots of previews on a slow iBook, and using the flag seemed noticeably quicker.) If I remove the no-compress flag, everything prints fine.

To clarify: when I said things print fine from Preview, I meant the application named "Preview" that ships standard on OS X. I believe this app uses Apple's native PDF support. I was not referring to a preview window in a browser.

So if I print from the Preview application, everything's fine. If I print from Adobe Reader 7, I see (via das blinken lights) the print job go through my print server to my HP LaserJet 6MP, which blinks a few times, and then gives up. So some kind of print job seems to be sent, but whatever it is, the LaserJet can't handle it.

I'll send an example PDF to your support address.

Thanks,

Eric Baumgartner

Eric Baumgartner
Inquirium