Forum How do I...?

Linking PDFs from a HTML using Action Commands

anjania
Hi,

I have a situation here where I am trying to link multiple PDF documents from a HTML file. This is the whole process and I need some help,

I develop PDF documents for various departments in an organization that contains some budget information in tables (HTML). These pdfs are generated using PrinceXML. So basically I develop HTML tables that are enclosed within each div tag (that has a unique id). And at the end of the process, the HTML file is sent to PrinceXML and a PDF is generated.
The reason for enclosing each HTML table inside a div tag with unique id is because the first pages of the document contains the table of contents with linking capablity within the document.

Now let us say that we have like 10 pdf's in a folder (that were generated using PrinceXML and my HTML code). My organization wants to create another PDF something like a Summary PDF which has links in it so that when you click on the links, it should take you to the corresponding PDF's (the 10 that were created) respectively.

I am able to write a HTML file that has 'a href' command links, linking to these PDF's. So when you click on the link it will take you to the concerned doc.

But the problem I have is that some of the links (when clicked) should take you a particular page or a section of another PDF document and not just to the first page of the other PDF.

I found online that I can do something like this,
a href="http://www.adobe.com/prodlist.pdf#page=3"
and it will take you to the page 3 when clicked.
But the problem is, at run time I don't know the page number it should go to. I can't determine this at the runtime.
So I am wondering is there a better way to do this. Like for example there are some action commands like #namedest= etc in pdf but I dont know how to use them. Since I said that in HTML each of these tables are wrapped in unique div id tags ... is there a way Prince would add some kind of an id that can be controlled by me ... so that I can use that in the linking purposes ???

I need ideas .... Please help ...

Thank you very much.
mikeday
Adding support for named destinations in links and generated PDFs would make sense, but will probably require a new CSS property. I'll add this to the roadmap.