Forum Feature requests

Support for Solaris? Support for service as a daemon/queue

Johnny
This product looks great - I can see it fitting really well CMS systems.

What's it support for UNIX systems such as Solaris - I didn't see anything.
It would serve well to be used a server side component for piping content.

What is it like with memory consumtion?.. I know XSL-FO can be quite big depending on the layout of a PDF. A PDF server/queing system would serve nicely in that regard.

The options for this tool to be embedded in other systems would really grow if we see a daemon/server offering.
mikeday
Prince currently supports Windows, Linux and MacOS X. We plan to add support for Solaris/x86 in the future, but support for Solaris/Sparc is not on the roadmap at this time.

Memory consumption really depends on the size and nature of the documents being formatted; I recommend doing some tests with Prince to see if it is suitable for your needs.

For server use, Prince comes with a Java interface, ActiveX/COM interface and wrappers for calling it from PHP and ColdFusion pages. It is also easy to run Prince from scripts.
Johnny
Shame there are no plans for sparc - that's a shoe in for integration with larger CMS systems.

I'm aware of the API's - I was talking about a server process to manage requests - to queue and process documents (pipeline them).

Together, they would open up new doors for this product.
mikeday
We would probably field such a thing as a HTTP service for easy integration with other systems. However I suspect that many systems would still use the Java API for integration with Prince, or possibly we would have to develop a new Java API to talk to the new server process. :)

Running Prince on Sparc would be good, but so far there has been a lot more demand for Windows, Linux and even MacOS X than there has been for Solaris. The product is obviously portable however, so there is no reason why it could not run on Sparc Solaris at some point in the future.
mikeday
From Prince 6.0 rev 6 onwards we now have packages for Solaris 10, both Sparc and Intel architectures.