Forum Feature requests

Postscript fonts

acebal
I think that a publishing product like Prince does actually need support for Postscript (Type 1) fonts. It's a shame not being able to use some beautiful fonts that I only have availabe in that format and not in True Type.

Do you know, in the meantime, any workaround to make them to work currently with Prince (or to change the used fonts when the PDF has been generated)?

Thank you,

César Acebal
mikeday
I think that a publishing product like Prince does actually need support for Postscript (Type 1) fonts. It's a shame not being able to use some beautiful fonts that I only have availabe in that format and not in True Type.

We think so too! We will be adding support for PostScript Type 1 fonts in a future release of Prince.

Do you know, in the meantime, any workaround to make them to work currently with Prince (or to change the used fonts when the PDF has been generated)?

It might be difficult to change the font after the PDF has been generated, as the fonts would need to have identical sizes, otherwise the resulting PDF would have overlapping text. One possibility would be to convert the Type 1 font to a TrueType font using some kind of font editor, but it is hard to say how good the resulting font would be.
mikeday
Now that Prince 7.0 supports OpenType fonts with PostScript / CFF outlines (.otf files), support for Type 1 fonts seems redundant, as any Type 1 font can be seamlessly converted to an identical OpenType font.
oliof
Not all font licenses allow this.
mikeday
So there are PostScript Type 1 fonts with a license that allows PDF embedding, but not conversion to OpenType? I hope these are not commonly used in practice, and we would definitely recommend using OpenType fonts wherever possible, to take advantage of their advanced layout features.
oliof
Font conversion may essentially be seen as creating a derivative font or changing a font file, which not all licenses allow. IMHO, thisis completely orthogonal to PDF embed rights.

I agree that it is messy.
srobertjames
"as any Type 1 font can be seamlessly converted to an identical OpenType font"

How?
mikeday
Using FontLab, OTFoundry, or other font editing and conversion tools.