Forum Bugs

Table of contents not working with flex

rainhallikas
I've attached an image of the problem (without_display_flex.PNG): long text goes under the number prefix. To tackle this in HTML, I decided to use display: flex (or later table-cell).

However, if I use flex or table-cell, the table of contents is not rendered correctly. No dotting appears (with_display_flex.PNG). The "content: leader(".")" css stops working.

Also attached (with_display_flex_in_HTML.PNG) that shows what I am trying to accomplish.

Is there another way to do this? Or is it a bug?

<div class="toc-section">
  <a href="#toc__sec_9.6" style="display: flex;">
    <span class="toc-left">9.6</span>
    <span class="toc-right">Calculation of structure-borne sound level Lsn 
    and normalisation with respect to the acoustic properties of the wall</span>
  </a>
</div>

a[href]::after { content: leader(".") target-counter(attr(href), page); }
.toc-left { width: 30pt; display: inline-flex; }
.toc-right { padding-left: 5pt; }

It would help my cause, if Prince allowed "list-style-type: 'string'" though ;)
  1. with_display_flex.PNG11.3 kB
  2. with_display_flex_in_HTML.PNG44.1 kB
  3. without_display_flex.PNG22.5 kB

Edited by rainhallikas

mikeday
I think there are a few possible ways of doing this, for example with regular floats, but we will investigate the interaction between leaders and flexbox layout.

What exactly do you mean by "list-style-type: 'string'"? You can use the ::marker pseudo-element to specify the content of a list-item marker.
rainhallikas
Okay. Float works. And list-style-type: '-' works in HTML and it's just more straight-forward than marker.
Thank you for the tips. I will try to use float and marker instead then.
rainhallikas
I think the flex was having problems because the ::after should have been after .toc-right element. Not the whole link.

But the marker is not solving my problem too well because every list element has a custom value. ::marker is CSS element and can take custom values but I need to set a different custom marker for every li. I am not sure if content: string-set would solve the problem but overall it would be an overly complicated work-around.

I would look forward to "list-style-type: custom value" addition to Prince if you're at all considering it at some point.
hallvord
Hi, I wrote a test case attempt although I'm not 100% certain the assertation is valid.
Flex-items (the SPAN elements and the ::after pseudo-elements) are likely expected to shrink to fit their contents. If you give the SPANs and the pseudos borders it helps clarifying what happens.

You could try making the ::after pseudo grow compared to the other flex items with

flex-grow: 2;

This gets me pretty close to the rendering you want. Only problem is the SPAN for the long text leaving space for only one dot - you may be able to live with that?

Announcement: repos for tests/utils

1. 4348.htm1.3 kB
  2. Screenshot from 2020-02-15 12-14-29.png22.4 kB
    with flex-grow
hallvord
(You may have tried the flex-grow solution already of course. If @mikeday thinks leader(".") content should be taken into account when shrinking those pseudo-element flex boxes the description of expected outcome in the test above is valid and the developers should investigate..)

Announcement: repos for tests/utils