Forum How do I...?

Float footnotes to the bottom of an offset parent container element?

natevw
I have a document with two types of footnotes, most of them traditional ones which should appear at the bottom of the page. But there's also a section of callout content that has its own set of footnotes. I've been able to deal with giving them different counters on the generation end just assigning them `<span data-counter="A">` with some existing rendering logic and styling like:

```
.pdf-footnote {
.reset-text();
font-size: 12pt;
}

.pdf-footnote::footnote-marker, .pdf-footnote::footnote-call {
content: attr(data-counter);
vertical-align: super;
line-height: none;
font-size: 0.83em;
}
```

But the hurdle I'm stuck with is that we want to typeset the callout's footnotes not at the bottom of the page, but rather at the bottom (i.e. at the end) of the callout element itself. Is this possible?

(I did notice that Prince has some [extensions to floats](https://www.princexml.com/doc/styling/#prince-extensions-to-floats) that include top/bottom options. But afaict this is only for generated columns, not able to target one specific element or at least the generic offset parent?)
mikeday
Perhaps you could do this by using JavaScript to move the footnote content to the end of the element, however does the element break pages and need to display different footnotes on each page?
natevw
Bummer, but thanks!

In this case we're probably fine with all footnotes simply being at the end of the block element even if the block element itself ends up split across pages. (And I've got some custom Django template infrastructure which I can extend to avoid needing to enable Javascript, but the general strategy of pre-processing the into the right place should work out.)