Forum Feature requests

allow generated PDF to be commentable

elephant
I saw on the roadmap the point

Introduce a new @prince-pdf CSS rule that can be used to specify the PDF metadata fields such as title, author, keywords, etc. This rule can also be used in the future for other properties that apply to the PDF as a whole.

It would be great to add an option to make a generated PDF to be commentable (in standard Acrobat Reader). We currently have to open the PDF in Acrobat itself and set this feature and save the PDF again (which seems to completely regenerate the PDF).

Any hope this would be possible to implement?
mikeday
How are you enabling commenting in Acrobat? I thought it was enabled by default, as under Security in Document Properties it shows comments as "Allowed".
elephant
Any PDF I generated with Prince so far was not commentable (in Adobe Reader).

I just tried:
- download www.google.de in Firefox to harddisk
- start prince
- open downloaded htm file
- saved PDF
- opened PDF in Adobe Reader (not Acobat!)
- looked under document->security->security setting for this document (Names may be slightly different as I translated the german version)
- found: "Comment: No" (again simply translated) and no

Maybe this is different for the english version? BTW I also tried in the personal edition and even the Prince default comment (Logo) is not editable.

I am using Adobe Reader 7.08, maybe this is only possible in later versions (I guess the security setting is the same though).

thanks
Chris
mikeday
Ah, that's funny. Maybe we got some flags wrong in the PDF file that is affecting Acrobat Reader. I've added this issue to the roadmap and we'll try and fix it for the next maintenance release.
elephant
Thanks, that would be great!
mikeday
Okay, I've taken another look at this and I'm not sure if it's possible, as it seems that enabling certain PDF features in Acrobat Reader requires signing the PDF by Adobe, or by an Adobe tool like Acrobat Professional.

How exactly were you able to enable comments in the PDF using Acrobat Professional?

(Update: there is a mailing list thread on this topic that seems to indicate only Acrobat can enable commenting in PDF files).
elephant
It really seems to be a separate step in Acrobat as well as it seems to regenerate the complete PDF.

Steps to do this:
- open PDF
- Menu Comments/Enable for commenting and analysis in Adobe Reader
- this saves the PDF

Would be a shame if that really can not be done but I guess you are right.
mikeday
Right, it does appear that Acrobat is applying a digital signature from Adobe to the resulting PDF file to enable certain features in Acrobat Reader. This isn't something that Prince is going to be able to do for the time being I'm afraid.
ricardo
mikeday wrote:
Right, it does appear that Acrobat is applying a digital signature from Adobe to the resulting PDF file to enable certain features in Acrobat Reader. This isn't something that Prince is going to be able to do for the time being I'm afraid.

The funny thing is that if you have a Mac you can open the PDF in the Preview application and add notes without any problems. Preview is included with Mac OS X.

:lol:
It is too bad that Prince can´t create a PDF that can be annotated in Adobe reader, as almost all Windows users use that.
However, I found a free program that I will be advising my clients to use:

http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer/

I installed it as the standard PDF reader and can annotate Prince PDF's no problem.

regards, Stephan Neumann