Forum Feature requests

PDF from DITA using Prince?

adallas
Is anyone else interested in creating PDF output from DITA maps? My search in this forum for "DITA" returned nothing.
mikeday
We would like to see Prince support all the necessary functionality needed by DITA users. Are there any CSS or formatting features that would be particularly useful to have, or is it a matter of creating higher-level tools like wrappers and scripts that can handle the task of taking DITA content and processing it appropriately with Prince?
adallas
It's not so much help automating the DITA process, but simply how to take a processed DITA map (containing a tree of topics and some metadata) and produce a PDF document with frontmatter, table of contents, chapters, and index. Since the un-specialized DITA vocabulary is so simple, I was hoping that one of the samples here would be a CSS file for DITA map.
mikeday
Last time I looked at DITA it seemed to come with several default CSS style sheets, that provided basic styling including a fair bit of generated content, although no paged media properties if I recall. Is that still the case?

It would be good if Prince could handle DITA out of the box, but if there are existing default style sheets it would be best to build on them rather than develop our own from scratch.
adallas
That's right--DITA includes basic CSS with no @page or other paged media tags.
mikeday
Would it be worthwhile to bundle an additional style sheet with Prince for adding the appropriate paged media styling to DITA documents, such as basic headers and footers?

Or is this something that would be best to contribute back to the DITA project for them to distribute instead? It might be overkill for Prince to distribute a complete set of default style sheets for DITA, if DITA users will already have them anyway.